What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Diesel Generators-2021?
A diesel generator has many advantages and some situational disadvantages too. Let us know about the advantages and disadvantages of diesel generators now in this blog.
Electricity is an integral part of our lives.
The advancements in modern science and technology would be unachievable without the contribution of power. Electricity is the sole basis on which the manufacturing units and the computer systems function.
But what happens when there is a power outage? The productivity decreases and it hampers the functioning of the devices.
So how do we overcome this problem?
The use of alternative sources of power is the solution. Power generators provide us with electricity when there is a power disruption. The generators use fuel like gasoline, gas or diesel to produce electricity.
A diesel generator fulfills the need for the power supply during a blackout. They are the popular lot when compared to other fuel sources.
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Diesel Generators
So what is it that gives the diesel generators an edge over others? And also what are the disadvantages that one needs to consider when selecting the diesel generator?
Here below we provide the answers to it.
What are the advantages of diesel generators?
- Here is the first advantage of diesel generators. Since the diesel engine works on the principle of self-ignition, it creates less violent pressure change when compared to the spark-ignited gasoline engine. Also, diesel fuel has a higher flash-point. This results in the reduction of blast or fire.
- Since only the air is compressed in the internal combustion engine, it requires less diesel. But in a petrol generator, both the air and petrol are compressed. So a diesel generator scores high on fuel efficiency. Also, the fuel wastage is lesser when compared to the other fuel engines. For the same kW of power produced, a diesel engine fuel cost is about 40% lower than a gas engine.
- If maintained regularly, diesel generators have a longer shelf-life and lower operating costs.
- Due to their simple build, diesel generators have lesser maintenance parts compared to gasoline generators.
- Diesel is less expensive in comparison with petrol. Hence it is commercially economical and viable.
- The diesel generators are stable and can withstand heavy loads.
- They can run on load for long durations and the probability of break down is less.
What are the disadvantages of diesel generators?
- The main disadvantage of a diesel generator is that it is bulky.
- The other disadvantage is that it produces more noise. But that can be offset using the silent generator. This uses an acoustic enclosure to minimize the sound effects.
- The time taken for the installation process is longer than other gas engines.
- Even though the initial cost for a diesel generator is expensive, it proves to be a wise investment in the long run.
- In cold weather, the start of diesel generators poses a problem. But that is overcome by the application of glow plugs and other heating elements. These warm up the engine including the incoming air.
- The diesel engine, if not maintained, emits more risky exhaust fumes than other generator sets.
We hope that this clears the advantages and disadvantages of diesel generators. The wide range of advantages makes diesel generating sets the ideal choice for industries, commercial establishments and residential complexes. You can either hire or buy diesel generators depending on your requirement. So whenever you are in dire need of alternative sources of power look no further than the diesel generator sets.